[driverloader] Interesting...

Fernando Cassia fcassia at sdf.lonestar.org
Fri Oct 17 21:16:31 EDT 2003

Hi,

First I want to say thanks to the folks at Linuxant for thinking about
this. As a former OS/2 user I remember proposing as far back as 1994 in
some mailing list the idea of "running win32 drivers seamlessly" by
creating a "wrapper" around win32 drivers.... everybody said I was nuts
and that it was impossible. Well, this linux project confirms my theory
that NOTHING is impossible from a programming point of view. You just
have to put enough brains for enough time thinking about ways to achieve
the goal.... :o)

After the kudos...  I'd like to know if this driver loader allows the
use of ANY "ndis5" compatible networking driver for win32 on linux, or
just a subset, somehow tweaked to work only on wireless cards. (which
would be strange since from a drivers point of view and afaik, the OS
doesn't care if the signals go over ethernet, wireless, or carrier
pigeons, as long as the driver complies with the ndis specs and win32
apis...).

Regards
Fernando