[driverloader] Broadcom 14e4:4320 connects AP with driverloader v1.05 but doesn't with 1.21

James Horey jhorey at cs.unm.edu
Wed Oct 29 11:12:48 EST 2003

On Wednesday 29 October 2003 08:09 am, Jan Slupski wrote:
> Hello Linuxant again!
>
> Recently I wrote you about my success with Broadcom Wireless buildin
> into HP Pavilion ZE4430.
>
> It works for me quite well under driverloader 1.05.
>
> There are some problems, but connection is ok.
>
> Problems using driver ver. 1.05:
> --------------------------------
>
> 1. Some commands do not give results: like:
>
> # iwconfig
> eth1      IEEE 802.11-DS  ESSID:"juljas.net"  Nickname:"unknown"
>           Mode:Managed  Access Point: 00:04:E2:86:48:BC  Bit Rate=11Mb/s
>           Tx-Power=14 dBm
>           RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
>           Encryption key:65AD-FE80-CD   Encryption mode:restricted
>           Power Management:off
>           Link Quality:1/0  Signal level:-42 dBm  Noise level:-200 dBm
>           Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
>           Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0
>
> (It is ok, but:)
>
> # iwlist eth1 scanning
> eth1      Failed to read scan data : No data available

This also happens on my home network using a NETGEAR wireless router
(MR814V2), but this DOES work at school, although I am not sure what hardware
they use. Oddly enough, my Orinoco PCMCIA card fails to scan at school, but
can scan my home network :)

> # iwlist eth1 accesspoints
> Warning: Driver for device eth1 has been compiled with version 16
> of Wireless Extension, while this program is using version 15.
> Some things may be broken...
>
> eth1      No Access Point in range
>
> And I'm sure there is AP in range as I'm now connected via it.

Same as above.

> Problems using driver ver. 1.20 & 1.21
> --------------------------------------
>
> 2. Lately I upgraded driver to 1.20 & 1.21 later
>
> I'm unable to connect using 1.2* driver...

Driverloader v1.2.0 and v1.2.1 works on my ze4430 with kernel 2.6.0test7, so
perhaps this driver is not working with the newer kernels?

To add to the list of weird kinks with Driverloader, although I can scan the
available networks at school, I must still manually change the essid to
connect to the network.

--
James Horey
Email: jhorey at cs.unm.edu