[driverloader] IBM T40 with IBM a/b mini-PCI card (Atheros 5211)

George Avrunin avrunin at math.umass.edu
Sun Nov 2 14:27:50 EST 2003

I am running Fedora Core 1 (well, a fully-updated Fedora Core Test) on
an IBM Thinkpad T40 with the IBM a/b mini-PCI card.  I believe this
card uses the Atheros 5211 chipset.  I can get the madwifi driver to
work in at least some circumstances (fine on my home network, not so
well at the university in a noisy setting with multiple APs).

I built the driverloader, version 1.24, from source (I commented out
the definition of free_netdev in modules/GPL/kcompat.h, since this is
defined in the Fedora kernel, 2.4.22-1.2115.nptl and gcc complained)
using rpmbuild.  I then ran drdlconfig, which said "To complete the
installation, please point your browser to http://127.1:18020 or ..".
I did that.  I pointed it to the .INF file from the latest IBM update
of the driver; it then asked for file AR5211.SYS, and I pointed it to
that.  But I get a page saying:

It seems that your device is either not present or not supported by
the installed driver(s).  Either:
  1. Plug-in your device and click [Refresh] to retry, OR
  2. Upload a new driver using the [Upload Windows Driver] button
     below.

The table below shows:

Driver		Vendor		Version			Delete
net5211		%ATHEROS%	09/12/2003,2.4.1.7	[X]

Is this device not supported, or am I doing something wrong in
configuring it?   When I run ""dldrconfig --dumpdiag", I see that it
says:
---------------------------------
/lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/misc/driverloader.o: init_module: No such device
/lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/misc/driverloader.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/misc/driverloader.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/misc/driverloader.o: insmod driverloader failed
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
      You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
but I don't see anything that looks relevant (or is even at
approximately the right time) in /var/log/messages.

Thanks,

  George Avrunin