[driverloader] BCM4301MP Difficulties

mfeit+linuxant at notonthe.net mfeit+linuxant at notonthe.net
Sat Nov 8 09:14:51 EST 2003

Greetings...

I'm using a Dell TrueMobile 1180 (Broadcom BCM4301MP, with the latest
driver available from Dell) with Red Hat 9.0.  I had no trouble
getting the driver and license loaded, but iwconfig doesn't want to
support a few of the more important parts of getting associated with
my access point:

 | # ip a
 | 12: eth2: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast qlen 100
 |     link/ether 00:90:4b:b0:92:7f brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
 |
 | # iwlist eth2 ap
 | eth2      Access Points in range:
 |     00:06:25:7B:DA:CF : Quality:1/1  Signal level:-44 dBm  Noise level:-200 dBm (updated)
 |
 | # ifup eth2
 | Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
 |     SET failed on device eth2 ; Invalid argument.
 | Error for wireless request "Set Frequency" (8B04) :
 |     SET failed on device eth2 ; Operation not supported.
 | Error for wireless request "Set Encode" (8B2A) :
 |     SET failed on device eth2 ; Operation not supported.
 |
 | Determining IP information for eth2... failed.

Any thoughts?

							- Mark

P.S.: Driverloader is a great idea.  It's a shame such a thing has to
exist, especially when Broadcom has a perfectly good Linux driver
in-house they just won't release.