[driverloader] WMP11 v2.7 seems to work well...

Joe Martine martine3 at cox.net
Sat Nov 8 08:26:24 EST 2003

Linuxant support wrote:

>WEP should work with DriverLoader. What is the exact command that you tried
>to set your WEP key?

I've tried a few variations:

iwconfig eth0 essid <APname> key XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XX
iwconfig eth0 key XXXX-...

Also tried not putting the dashes in, just run all the characters
together.  Everything simply gives me:

Error for wireless request "Set Encode" (8B2A)
  SET failed on device eth0 ; Operation not supported.

I noticed I also get the same error message (except for "Set Frequency"
(8B04)) when trying to set the channel.  But it gets set anyway when
associating to the AP.

>Let us know if your computer freezes again. You might need a kernel with
>'kdb' to diagnose this problem.

I have since transferred a large amount of data, both just in browsing
(slow), or even transferring a multi-GB file.  No problems at all.  This
computer is freshly-installed, and X was giving me fits at first, so
I'll blame it!

I also downloaded the latest (1.34) version of driverloader.  I don't
know exactly how I wound up with the 1.25, I would have sworn I used the
same page to get it the first time.  1.34 seems to take settings faster
than 1.25 did - before there was a noticable pause when setting essid,
or anything else, but now it is instant.  Other than that, operates just
the same.

I noticed when I ran 'iwconfig --version', it says:

iwconfig  Version 26
          Compatible with Wireless Extension v16 or earlier,
          Currently compiled with Wireless Extension v15.

eth0      Recommend Wireless Extension v11 or later,
          Currently compiled with Wireless Extension v15.

I remember back when I was messing with a USB wlan adapter, using the
latest Wireless Extensions was quite important.  So, when this says
"currently compiled w/ 15", what exactly is it referring to?  The
kernel?  Might this be a problem?  Seems WEP was the issue with that USB
device too, but it's been a while, I'm fuzzy on the details.

Thanks for the help.
Joe