[driverloader] license fees

Alexander Ellberg ellberg at arcor.de
Sun Nov 9 15:42:21 EST 2003

Hi Linuxant Team,

with all due respect but this course of action really disappoints me. I
didnt pay almost 1800$ for a notebook only to realize that the only option
to make the Centrino components work with my linux  system is to pay (again)
20 bucks for a proprietary driver loader. I have chosen linux besides other
benifits for the reason that i didnt have to pay for it.
Linux is open source and therefore its drivers should also be available without further
costs.
Dont get me wrong but i believe that Linuxant is betraying the
community with this marketing strategy. If you guys really have such a close
relationship to the hardware vendors it should be possible to make the
driverloader-concept available without any license fees.

Your advantage is the lack of official hardware drivers for linux and the unability of the
vendors to improve the situation. Intel promised the Centrino owners to
develop a working driver structure for all compentens of the system yet
there isnt even a beta available. I really hope Linuxant is going to find
another more consumer friendly option to release their driverloader
architecture. Until this moment i will have to wait for the native intel
Centrino drivers.

Sincerely

A. Ellberg