[driverloader] license fees

Joe Martine martine3 at cox.net
Sun Nov 9 09:36:10 EST 2003

While I'm all for free drivers/software/etc, I am also pragmatic about
the whole thing.  I've read in plenty of other places just how difficult
these vendors have been, for whatever reason, WRT Linux support.
Granted, Linux isn't a large market segment yet, but if another company
is offering a way to easily enable support for your products...

Since it has become fairly obvious that certain vendors - Broadcom in
particular, I've personally tried talking with them - aren't going to
provide the support, I'm fine with paying a small amount for this
driver, since it lets me actually use the hardware I bought.  I try very
hard not to HAVE to use something like this, by researching my purchases
ahead of time, but sometimes it is unavoidable.  In my particular case
Linksys apparently changed the driver chipset from a Linux-supported one
to Broadcom just weeks before I bought my card.  (Side note - why to
vendors keep the same blasted part number for something that is
completely different?!?)  Or, in your case, the laptop vendor only
provides a particular model of card in the first place.

That said, I thought for some time before this announcement came out
what I would be willing to pay.  I have to say, $20 is right up at the
high end of my final price range.  When the card I bought only cost $65
in the first place, I'm paying an additional 30% just to be able to use
it.  If I was buying the card now, I wouldn't do the deal.  I may not
now.  If the price had been $10, I wouldn't have thought twice about
it.  At $20, I would really have to have a use for this card (which I
don't at the moment), and it would have to work fully (WEP doesn't yet
for me).

I do hope the manufacturers and vendors wind up supporting this, at
least partially.  If they don't I am perfectly willing to pay something
for it, it is very useful.  But I do believe $20 is high, particularly
when each license is only good for one particular card.

Joe