[driverloader] license fees

Anders Karlsson anders at trudheim.com
Sun Nov 9 17:01:37 EST 2003

On Sun, 2003-11-09 at 14:42, Alexander Ellberg wrote:
> Hi Linuxant Team,

Hi there Alexander,

> with all due respect but this course of action really disappoints me.
> I didnt pay almost 1800$ for a notebook only to realize that the only
> option to make the Centrino components work with my linux  system is
> to pay (again) 20 bucks for a proprietary driver loader. I have chosen
> linux besides other benifits for the reason that i didnt have to pay
> for it. Linux is open source and therefore its drivers should also be
> available without further costs.

It is disappointing that someone (Linuxant) actually have to sit down
and develop a product like DriverLoader in order for the Linux community
to benefit from technology like Centrino etc. Linuxant does however need
to pay for the development costs of DriverLoader. $20 is a reasonably
low cost compared to $1500-$3000 for a laptop.

If you are going to start yelling at someone, start shouting at Intel as
it is they who are time and again delaying releasing a native driver for
Linux.

> Dont get me wrong but i believe that Linuxant is betraying the
> community with this marketing strategy. If you guys really have such a
> close relationship to the hardware vendors it should be possible to
> make the driverloader-concept available without any license fees.

I do not know the motives of Linuxant, but to say they are betraying the
community is a bit harsh. They saw a gap in the market and went for it.
Common business sense. If you do not like the product, don't use it and
don't buy it. Use the PRO/2100 as a paperweight.

> Your advantage is the lack of official hardware drivers for linux and
> the unability of the vendors to improve the situation. Intel promised
> the Centrino owners to develop a working driver structure for all
> compentens of the system yet there isnt even a beta available. I
> really hope Linuxant is going to find another more consumer friendly
> option to release their driverloader architecture. Until this moment i
> will have to wait for the native intel Centrino drivers.

While I can understand your position and argument, I do believe you are
a bit hasty in pointing the finger at Linuxant.

That Intel has not yet released anything for Linux is hardly Linuxants
fault. It is to Linuxants benefit, sure, but it is Intels fault.

Warm Regards,

--
Anders Karlsson <anders at trudheim.com>
Trudheim Technology Limited