[driverloader] license fees

Stefan Schlörholz stefan at schloerholz.de
Sun Nov 9 18:57:32 EST 2003

Alexander Ellberg schrieb am Sonntag, 9. November 2003 15:42:
> Hi Linuxant Team,

Hello,

I see this topic from two sides.

I think people who have good products should get money for it. Everybody
then can decide if it is worth it buying the product. And why should
people get a driver for free when they on the other side are willing to
pay for a forced licence for $150 they do not need at all.

On the other side I would have calculated a more reasonable price. You
get orinoco based PCMCIA for $35 easily. These are fully supported and
you do not need to renew any licence ever. A lot of people do this
calculation and decide for this alternativ. I am sure there would be
more profit if the price for a licence would be below $10. Additionally
I would have offered free licences to the people on the mailing list
signed up before licence fee anouncement. They did a lot of testing and
posted a lot information to develop information (E.g. I posted the
working of driverloader on an ASUS M2400N but did not find any hint on
the compatibily list yet, ASUS being a very famous notebook vendor for
Linux users; they do not force you to buy a MS OS)

I see the support from linuxant being very good. You can imagine the
response when asking MS why Win XP does not support a USB standard
mouse ;-)

Best regards

Stefan