[driverloader] tel 2100 on D800 - linux crash

Marc Boucher marc at linuxant.com
Mon Nov 10 10:38:26 EST 2003

The "driverloader: probe of 0000:0x:xx.x failed with error -5"
errors are in fact normal. Basically driverloader advertises that it
can handle all PCI IDs so that it gets called by the kernel for each
unknown device (of any type) and then looks if a Windows INF for the
device is present under /var/lib/driverloader/. If yes, it claims the
device, otherwise it returns -EIO (-5), causing the kernel to emit the
messages you are seeing.

What is not normal, in Emmanuel's case, is the following error:

> driverloader: unable to load "/var/lib/driverloader/w70n51.sys" (-5)

because he has only the w70n51.inf file, but not the corresponding
w70n51.sys file under /var/lib/driverloader.

Perhaps the absence of the file is due to the crash he was experiencing.

We will be releasing 1.38 with some important 2.6-specific fixes shortly.
Please try it (or any newer version) and if the problem persists, please
contact support at linuxant.com

Thanks
Marc