[driverloader] Intel Centrino name

Jan Slupski jslupski at email.com
Tue Nov 11 18:30:15 EST 2003

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, Luca Capello wrote:

> Question: should the infos at
> 	http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/Wireless-HOWTO-6.html
> work as the same? I mean, if I add to my /etc/modules.conf
> 	alias wlan0 driverloader
> should my WiFI be called 'wlan0'? I need no more this option as your tip
> works perfectly, but it's just for my knowledge :-)

No, it's not like this.
'alias' entry in /etc/modules.conf is just for opposite purpose.

This is to inform kernel (or rather module loader) what module to load
if 'wlan0' is requested.

For example if you havn't loaded driverloader (so there is no wlan0
interface available), and you write
# ifconfig wlan0 up
or
# iwconfig wlan0 essid hello
the utility tries to access interface wlan0. As it is not registred,
kernel (its module handling facility) looks into /etc/modules.conf,
an sees: aha - he wants wlan0 so it means I should load module
'driverloader'...
So kernel loads 'driverloader', and 'driverloaderr' creates interface
wlan0, so ifconfig can access it.

If 'driverloader' is configured to have name 'eth1', above procedure
would fail.
It would look like:

ifconfig asks kernel for 'wlan0' -> kernel looks into /etc/modules.conf
and sees 'alias wlan0 driverloader' -> kernel loads driverloader ->
driveloader creates interfaca 'eth1' (if that's its configuration) ->
ifconfig fails, as wlan0 is still not available

Hint: man modprobe modules.conf

Jan

PS
dldrconfig automatically adds necessary entries to /etc/modules.conf &
/etc/modprobe.conf, and thanks to that it already works for you