[driverloader] Need help configuring

Joe Martine martine3 at cox.net
Sun Nov 23 06:50:27 EST 2003

There are a number of ways to do this, some I think a bit more
"elegant", but I haven't tried too many yet. What I did is add some
extra stuff to /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 and /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf so that
any interface can be wireless. Works for me, anyway. First,
rc.inet1.conf is where you set the per-interface parameters for
Slackware. The configuration tool will too, so I expect it may wipe out
any manual edits if you run it later, so keep that in mind. This is how
mine looks:

# Config information for eth0:
IPADDR[0]=""
NETMASK[0]=""
USE_DHCP[0]="yes"
DHCP_HOSTNAME[0]=""
WIRELESS[0]="yes"
ESSID[0]="APName"
WEP[0]="BigLongWepKey"

I added the WIRELESS, ESSID and WEP entries. Also added them to the
other interfaces, just put "" for the assignment.

Then, in rc.inet1, you have to add a few lines:

eth_up() {
# If the interface isn't in the kernel yet (but there's an alias for it in
# modules.conf), then it should be loaded first:
if ! grep eth${1}: /proc/net/dev 1> /dev/null ; then # no interface yet
if /sbin/modprobe -c | grep -w "alias eth${1}" | grep -vw "alias eth${1}
off" > /dev/null ; then
/sbin/modprobe eth${1}
fi
fi

 > # If the interface is shown to be wireless, configure that first.
 > if [ "${WIRELESS[$1]}" = "yes" ]; then
 > iwconfig eth${1} key ${WEP[$1]}
 > sleep 3
 > iwconfig eth${1} essid ${ESSID[$1]}
 > fi

if grep eth${1}: /proc/net/dev 1> /dev/null ; then # interface exists
if ! /sbin/ifconfig | grep "eth${1} " 1> /dev/null ; then # interface
not up
if [ "${USE_DHCP[$1]}" = "yes" ]; then # use DHCP to bring interface up
if [ ! "${DHCP_HOSTNAME[$1]}" = "" ]; then
/sbin/dhcpcd -t 10 -h ${DHCP_HOSTNAME[$1]} -d eth${1}
else
/sbin/dhcpcd -t 10 -d eth${1}
fi

This is in the Ethernet Functions part of the file. I showed a fair
chunk so it's easy to find your place. All I added was the wireless part
with the arrows in front of it. For some reason, my particular wireless
card wants the WEP set first, then a pause before assigning the ESSID.
Otherwise the link doesn't come up. That's the reason for the sleep 3.

One note, this works for Slackware 9.1. All previous versions of Slack
used a different method of starting the interfaces.

Other ways I have considered trying:

It appears when driverloader is being loaded it's actually trying to set
these parameters itself. But they fail. I've not found where it is
trying to do it yet...

According to 'man modprobe.conf', I ought to be able to make an entry
something like:

install driverloader /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install driverloader ;
/etc/rc.d/rc.wlan-start

so that it will load the module, then run my start script. I tried that
once, and it didn't work, but then maybe I just don't know what I'm
doing with it yet! :-) The nice thing here, I wouldn't have to edit the
standard scripts, just add my own.

Hope this helps.
Joe