[driverloader] uploading dvr for Dell I8500 and BCM4306 aka TruMob 1300

Jim Snyder jhs at jhsnyder.com
Fri Dec 5 20:30:45 EST 2003

I'm sure this is an absolutely idiotic question about some truly
stupid and ignorant act I've committed or omitted, but c'est moi.

I'm running 2.4.23. I compiled driverloader from the 1.48 tarball.
It installed.

I don't run windoze (willingly), so I picked up the self-extracting
executable R65194.EXE on the Dell site that the linuxant windoze
webpage points to. I found a wxp system to run the archive on, and
copied the driver files to my linux laptop.

                          ----- o -----

First problem: there appear to be two driver pairs of different
sizes, with the same names: bcmwl5.{inf, sys} in directories:

C:/dell/drivers/r65194/TMSetup/bmcwl5.{}

and

C:/dell/drivers/r65194/TMSetup/I8500/bmcwl5.{}

which is the correct set?

                          ----- o -----

Second problem: when I upload the driver (using http://127.0.0.1:18020)
the web page first asks for the .INF file, which I give it and (usually)
it takes; then it asks for the .SYS file.

It then asks for bcmwl5.sys, which I feed it. I then get one of two

a) a popup which says "the document contains no data", which is news to
ls:

tarball=; ls -l bcm*
-rw-rw-r--  1  jhs         jhs    17742 Jun 13 15:37 bcmwl5.inf
-rw-rw-r--  1  jhs         jhs   254208 Jun 13 15:37 bcmwl5.sys
tarball=;

or else:

b) an error webpage
<http://127.0.0.1:18020/cgi-bin/config.cgi?cmd=newFile&file=&filetype=UNKNOWN&driver=bcm43xx&filename=>

which says:

File type not recognized.
Must be an .INF or .NTF file.

Does anyone know which idiotic sin I've committed this time?

						TIA, jhs at jhsnyder dot com