[driverloader] Linksys WMP54G and encryption

Regis "HPReg" Duchesne driverloader.1.hpreg at spamgourmet.com
Sun Dec 7 16:58:15 EST 2003

My setup:
o DriverLoader: version 1.42 (I can upgrade if needed.)
o NIC: Linksys WMP54G
o AP: Linksys WRT54G
o OS: Debian unstable, kernel 2.4.16 (I can upgrade if needed.)

First issue
-----------
The NIC does not work when I use the Windows driver provided on Linksys
_and_ Linuxant web site: version 3.20.23.0 (from the file called
wmp54g_driver_utility_v1.2.zip)

However, the NIC does work perfectly when I use the Windows driver
provided on the NIC's CD (version 3.30.15.0).

So I'm happy, but I'm confused at the same time. This is really weird,
because the driver on CD has a higher version than the driver on the web
site (it should be the opposite). Any idea? I can provide the CD driver
on request (I prefer not to attach it, I don't know what the attachment
policy of the mailing list is).

Second issue
------------
Both my AP and the NIC support WEP and WPA encryption, and people report
it works on Windows XP.

I'm trying to enable encryption on Linux. How can I do it? Do I need an
extra piece of software on Linux (besides the wireless tools I mean)
like the infamous "supplicant" on Windows XP? If that is not possible,
how can we make it possible?

I have been a VMware employee for more than 4 years now, so be ensured
of 2 things:

1) I appreciate your emulation work, and congratulations for a job well
done.

2) I'm competent and would be more than happy to do any testing you want
to do to make encryption work.

For me, wireless is useless without encryption. So that last issue is a
buy stopper. Please pretty please, I really want to send you my $ 20 for
a license!

Thanks,
--
Regis "HPReg" Duchesne