[driverloader] WMP54G and _big_ packet loss

Benjamin Schieder blindcoder at bingo-ev.de
Wed Dec 10 09:57:41 EST 2003

Hi List.

I have successfully installed the driverloader for a WMP54G card
(bcmwl5.{inf,sys}) and it works for some time (about 2-3 hours) without
problems. After that, I start to get _huge_ packet losses around 50% and
larger. The Access Point (a WRT54G with latest firmware) is standing around
15m across and one floor higher.
I'm not sure if I did everything correctly since I also get strange readings
from iwconfig:

blindcoder at crazyhorse:~/BT$ /usr/sbin/iwconfig eth0
eth0      IEEE 802.11g  ESSID:"Welcome to LVP"  Nickname:"unknown"
          Mode:Managed  Access Point: 00:06:25:D9:2C:A6  Bit Rate=36Mb/s
          Tx-Power=13 dBm
          RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality:1/1  Signal level:-66 dBm  Noise level:-73 dBm

I'm worried about the link quality line, and I'm not sure if this is due to
the driver, the ap the card or something entirely different.

dmesg reveales tons of these:
NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out

and occasionally:
eth0: New link status: Disconnected (0002)
eth0: New link status: Connected (0001)

There is no other NIC in this machine. The machine is running ROCK Linux 2.0pre
with a 2.4.22 kernel and a handful of patches.

Has anyone an idea about what I could do?

blindy

--
GPG-Public Key:
http://www.crash-override.net/benjamin_schieder_key_2002-01-17.gpg