[driverloader] promiscuous mode supported?

Anders Saaby linuxant at saaby.com
Thu Dec 11 18:23:14 EST 2003

> On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 05:47:08PM +0100, Anders Saaby wrote:
> > Hi, (and thanks for your quick answer!)
> >
> > On Thursday 11 December 2003 17:15, Marc Boucher wrote:
> > > Promiscuous mode is supported by driverloader as long as the
> > > underlying Windows driver also supports it (the NOT_SUPPORTED
> > > error code below is returned by the Windows driver by the way).
> >
> > ok, great
> >
> > > If I remember correctly, you have an Intel Centrino adapter.
> >
> > hehe... good memory! :)
> >
> > > Which version of the Windows driver are you using?
> > > Did you try the latest one?
> >
> > well im actually using the driver from HP, since the .INF file from Intel
> > doesen't detect my card, and HP's latest driver is from 21. Oct 03 -
> > which is the one im using.
>
> does dldrconfig -i report the driver's version?

ok - I now tried the driver from acer which you pointed to - this has a higher
"FileVersion": Acer's: 1.2.1.1  -   HP's: 1.2.0.56

here are the versions for the acer driver (which I now use):

<SNIP>
       Device instance: PCI-0000:02:02.0-8086:1043-8086:2522
        Device driver  : w70n51
        Driver Version : 1.2.1.1
        Description    : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 7100 LAN Card Driver
        Adapter model  : PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter
</SNIP>

> alternatively you can try to find it out by doing
> 	strings -e l /var/lib/driverloader/filename.sys

yep:

<SNIP>
FileVersion
1.2.1.1
...ProductName
Intel
 PRO/Wireless LAN Adapter
ProductVersion
1.0.0.0
</SNIP>

But after reloading the driverloader kernel module with this driver it still
says:

<SNIP>
device eth1 entered promiscuous mode
driverloader: ndisSetInformation: GEN_CURRENT_PACKET_FILTER st=NOT_SUPPORTED
W=0 N=4
</SNIP>

/Saaby