[driverloader] Re: System Hangs on Shutting down (Partha Bagchi)

Mark Feit mfeit+linuxant at notonthe.net
Fri Dec 12 19:19:19 EST 2003

Partha Bagchi writes:

  > Has anyone encountered a problem in shutting down the system?
  >
  > When I do network restart or ifdown eth1 or dldrstop the system sits
  > there and I have to Cntr-C out of it. When I try to shutdown, the system
  > hangs at shutting down eth1.
  >
  > Any solutions?

I ran into this on a Red Hat 9 system.  The solution is to make sure
the MAC address in /etc/sysconfig/network/scripts/ifcfg-xxx is all
lowercase.

This is really a bug in the RH scripts that handle this, because MAC
addresses don't have any particular case (i.e., DE:AD:BE:EF:12:34 and
de:ad:be:ef:12:34 are equivalent).  Adding to the confusion is that
fact that /sbin/ifconfig shows one and /sbin/ip shows the other.  I've
identified where it's happening and at some point when I have a few
minutes (when's that?) I'll develop a patch and contribute it to
Fedora.

							- Mark
--
"If you're doing something that's killing you, you don't solve the
 problem by figuring out how to do it more efficiently."