[driverloader] Re: Driverloader 1.48 and VMware under SuSE 9.0

Regis "HPReg" Duchesne driverloader.1.hpreg at spamgourmet.com
Sun Dec 14 21:27:34 EST 2003

Urs,

> I got a problem using VMware with bridged - network settings and
> Linuxant 1.48 under SuSE 9.0 (kernel 2.4.21-144-default).

VMware Workstation (I assume that is the product you are referring to)
can't bridge to a wireless NIC. See
http://www.vmware.com/support/reference/common/wireless_net.html
for details.

Consequently, it is not possible to do what you want, whether you are
using a stable DriverLoader, a buggy DriverLoader, or no DriverLoader at
all.

However, be assured that VMware, Inc. is working hard towards getting
rid of that limitation. I can't give you an ETA though. In the meantime,
you can establish IP connectivity (which is sufficient for most uses)
for your VM:

o If you are running a version of Workstation that is < 4, just do what
the article recommends.

o If you are running a version of Workstation that is >= 4, then it is
even simpler (the article is a bit outdated, it should mention that, I
will make sure it gets updated): just make sure your virtual NIC uses
NAT mode instead of bridged mode, then make your guest OS use DHCP for
that virtual NIC. I use this exact setup at home.

Thanks,
--
Regis "HPReg" Duchesne