[driverloader] unable to change Bit rate (802.11g)

Dr. Thomas Bruns th.bruns at freenet.de
Wed Dec 17 22:14:50 EST 2003

Hello,

I'm testing the linuxant driverloader for several days now but I semm to be unable to
change the bitrate of my two cards.

I've got a PC with a D-Link DWL-G520 saying
eth0      IEEE 802.11g  ESSID:"mynet"  Nickname:"mynick"
           Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.412GHz  Bit Rate=108Mb/s
           Encryption key:off
           Power Management:off
           Link Quality:1/1  Signal level:-95 dBm  Noise level:-200 dBm

and a notebook (Toshiba) with a NetGear WG511GR saying
eth1      IEEE 802.11g  ESSID:"mynet  Nickname:"mynick"
           Mode:Ad-Hoc  Frequency:2.457GHz  Cell: 0A:3B:35:28:08:DF
           Bit Rate=54Mb/s
           RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
           Encryption key:off
           Power Management:off
           Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0

On both boxes a command like "iwconfig eth[0|1] rate 54M" or "iwconfig eth[0|1] rate 11M"
goes without any consequence. The output of iwconfig is unchanged.
So my question before getting a permanent license is:
How can I make the two cards speak with each other at 54Mb/s (nominal) rate!
(I had them talking at 11Mb/s before, don't know how exactly they both got that setting)
BTW I just updated to driverloader-1.52 to no avail.

TIA
Thomas