[driverloader] Report: Proxim 802.11B/G Silver PCMCIA functional

Todd Lyons TLyons at SequentUSA.com
Mon Dec 22 08:57:41 EST 2003

First I wanted to drop in and say hi.  So... Hi.

I also wanted to report that the Proxim B/G Silver PCMCIA works
flawlessly in my ASL LT720 laptop using the XP drivers, but I have not
tested the full range of functionality yet.  Read on.

Notes:
1) The OS is Mdk 9.2.  It's using hotplug to bring the interface up and
down.  I did not have to configure anything manually (that I can recall,
but this was 2 weekends ago).
2) It starts up and shuts down with no problems.  I am not experiencing
the shutdown problems that others on the list are seeing.  I have
shutdown with the interface both plugged and unplugged with no lockup
errors.  I would suggest to the others having problems that they try
passing various incantations of "noapic" and "acpi=off" parameters to
the kernel to try and help narrow down the problem.
3) I was able to associate to an 802.11G AP (no WEP) but have not tried
an 802.11B AP yet.  Using iwconfig, I do see it auto switching speed and
frequencies when scanning, so that's a good sign.
4) I have not tested WEP yet.  I have a 1 Watt 2.4 GHz amp and found an
AP with WEP enabled, but I did not know the key (it's just someone in a
nearby neighborhood).  Using iwconfig I enabled encryption and set a
password, then the card associated with the AP.  I couldn't connect of
course since my key was wrong, but the fact that it associated is a
positive thing.  I will test WEP with an AP over the Christmas holidays.
5) I have not tested WPA yet, but plan to do so.  If I can find an AP
that supports WPA, I will test it over the Christmas holidays.
6) Monitor mode is not supported by the driver.  I was a bit
disappointed in this, but according to the FAQ, since it's usually
proprietary extensions to NDIS, it's not yet supported.  I'm willing to
test for this particular card if the developers would like me to.
7) The LT720 has a Mobile Celeron 700 so it's a bit older laptop, but
it's plenty to get the job done.

Regards...                      Todd -- Field Engineering Group
Sequent Technologies            http://www.sequentusa.com