[driverloader] wmp54g and Fedora Core 1 (driverloader: message 1 of 20)

Regis "HPReg" Duchesne driverloader.1.hpreg at spamgourmet.com
Fri Dec 26 22:16:43 EST 2003

John,

> After successfully installing
> driverloader-1.53_k2.4.22_1.2115.nptl-1fdr.i686.rpm.zip into the
> standard Fedora Core 1 I found that no entry was made into
> /etc/modules.conf for driverloader and modprobe driverloader will not
> load the driver.

Same for me on Debian. I now force the loading of the driverloader
module at boot time.

>  If I use insmod driverloader the driver loads but gives the error
> that the module is tainted with a Non-GPL license.  I can only install
> this module with insmod.

It is _not_ an error. The kernel people decided to display this warning
message when the loaded module does not have a license they like, but it
is just a warning, and Linuxant is free to use whatever license they
choose for their DriverLoader code. The 'tainted' warning simply tells
you that if for some reason your kernel crashed (unlikely), you should
contact Linuxant instead of the kernel people.

If you are planning to use WPA encryption on your WMP54G, you might find
this page useful:
"How to do WPA encryption between Linksys WRT54G and WMP54G on Linux"
http://zoy.org/~hpreg/wifi/

Regards,
--
Regis "HPReg" Duchesne <driverloader.1.hpreg at spamgourmet.com>