[driverloader] Dell BCM4301 802.11b Driver on SuSE 9.0 Not Working- License is running out..

Urs mueller newsuser at bf-net.ch
Wed Dec 31 11:48:00 EST 2003

Charles Love sagte:
> I have an Wide Open AP @ the office. with No Encryption. its just no
> broadcast, I also have a locked down one @ home. Both work under
> windows with no special settings.. I have no switches or anything like
> that..
>
> IWLIST SCAN:
>
> linux-clove:~ # iwlist scan
> lo        Interface doesn't support scanning : Operation not supported
> eth0      Interface doesn't support scanning : Operation not supported
> wlan0     Failed to read scan data : No data available
> sit0      Interface doesn't support scanning : Invalid argument
> vmnet1    Interface doesn't support scanning : Operation not supported
> vmnet8    Interface doesn't support scanning : Operation not supported
> linux-clove:~ #
>
> At home I have a Netgear Wireless Cable/Dsl router (i can get you
> model number later)
>
> here at work we have an Airport Extreme AP.

Ok, your primary network is the built in Ethernet-Controller.
Please be sure, that the wlan0 also tries to get and set dhcp-settings.
Follow the instruction:
- as superuser (root)
- change to /etc/sysconfig/network
- cat ifcfg-wlan0
- check if it looks *like* mine
  BOOTPROTO='dhcp'
  MTU=''
  REMOTE_IPADDR=''
  STARTMODE='onboot'
  DHCLIENT_MODIFY_RESOLV_CONF='yes'
  DHCLIENT_SET_DEFAULT_ROUTE='yes'
  UNIQUE='The unique key, SuSE/Yast uses to identify the device'
  WIRELESS_ESSID='Your ESSID'
  WIRELESS_KEY='here goes the hex wep key, if wep enabled'
  WIRELESS_MODE='Managed'
  WIRELESS_NICK=''
  WIRELESS_NWID=''
- especially the lines beginning with "DHCLIENT" have to be
  present. If they are not, SuSE-Linux will assign the IP-
  Adress to wlan0 from dhcp, but will not set DNS-Resolution
  and will not add a default route.
- I am not sure, but I think you have to launch "SuSEconfig"
  after modification to ifcfg-wlan0 to be sure, all modifi-
  cations are written to the appropriate files.
- Maybe you are able to manage some settings using Yast,
  network-configuration. As my wlan is on eth1, yast don't
  give me the appropriate dialog for entering wlan-settings.

I am using a IBM Thinkpad R40 with a miniPCI-Card a/b/g
from IBM (atheros based) and a D-Link DWL-2000AP Access-Point.
I tried it in open mode and with WEP.

Happy holidays, Urs Mueller, Berne, Switzerland