[driverloader] My wlan does not get an IP from DHCP

fmml at cedval.org fmml at cedval.org
Fri Jan 2 15:07:32 EST 2004

Hi,

Not sure if this can help you but here is what I have done. I have
installed driverloader (Broadcom wireless adapter) on my laptop running
Suse 9 pro. After I ran the config, a new adapter was created "eth1".  I
used yast to configure the adapter with a static address(make sure DNS,
default gateway are setup properly) .  Now when I want to use my wireless
adapter, I run the following script (as a shortcut on my K desktop set to
run as the root user):

#!/bin/sh
dldrconfig --info
ifconfig eth1 down # Found I had to bring down the interface before
# setting things
iwconfig eth1 mode managed
iwconfig eth1  key restricted s:99999999999999
iwconfig eth1  channel 9
iwconfig eth1 nickname "whoami5"
iwconfig eth1 rate 54M
iwconfig eth1 essid  alarm07
ifconfig eth1 up
/etc/init.d/network restart
# turning off eth0
ifconfig eth0 down

A little explanation:

I run the "dldrconfig --info" command as it forces the driverloader to be
up, found that between reboot it is sometimes off.

when running the iwconfig commands, alway make sure you setup the essid last.

I have an ethernet adapter on eth0, found that I had to turn it off for
the network routing to work properly.

Hope this help. Happy new year to all...

Francois