[driverloader] Airport Extreme & Red Hat 9

Mat Ellis mat.ellis at mac.com
Wed Jan 7 22:30:49 EST 2004

Dimitris

I'm sure you've tried this already, but for the benefit of others....

Non-Apple wireless clients must have the WEP key entered in hexadecimal
when using an Apple Airport base station. Only Apple clients can take
the key in it's string form, e.g.

On base station: 'Wireless Security' password entered as '128-bit WEP'
password 'foobar'
On Apple client: Airport network name '<whatever>', password 'foobar'
On Windoze client: Network name '<whatever>', wep key 'ABCDEF1234' (put
Hex equivalent)
On Linux client: Network name '<whatever>', key '0xABCDEF1234' (put Hex
equivalent but with '0x' in front)

You can get the hex version of your password by going to the Airport
Admin utility, selecting your base station, select button 'Show All
Settings' and then select 'Equivalent Network Password...' from the
menu 'Base Station'.

With this method, I've been able to successfully connect XP clients to
my Apple base stations for nearly a year.

Apologies for slightly off-topic response but relevant for anyone
trying to get their Linux boxes going with their Apple base stations.

M.