[driverloader] Mandrake 9.2.1 or 10.0 and wireless card

falcaraz falcaraz at ono.com
Tue Mar 16 19:53:37 EST 2004

I have seen several messages about problems to configure
under Mandrake 9.2 a wireless card after driverloader is
activated and runing, so as I have two laptops, one with
9.2.1 and other with 10.0 runing fine a wireless card
activated with driverloader (a Belkin one and a Centrino
one), I will give you some data of how my computers are
configured; hope this could help :-)

I tryed to install it with drakconnect, but it was trying to
load a module for the wireless card, and those was
unapropiated (not driverloader to select), but after close
this it was easy to configure the main files I needed for
this; lets my explain the more complicated case, a
Fujitsu-Siemens Centrino with a ethernet card (eth0) that I
use to a conection at the University, and the wireless card
(eth1), that I use at home to conect throughout a wireless
accesspoint.

The more importante files are:

a) /etc/resolv.conf, that includes the nds servers; it
includes two server for my home and one for the University,
te second one is the University dns server:

nameserver 62.42.230.24
nameserver 155.54.1.200
nameserver 62.42.230.135

b) The file /etc/sysconfig/network:

HOSTNAME=Falcarazpor2
NETWORKING=yes
GATEWAY=192.168.1.1
GATEWAYDEV=eth1

At home I have configurated a internal network based on
192.168.1.x and using sharing IP, the computer that is
conected to Internet has a eth1 the IP 192.168.1.1, so it
is the Gateway number and the wireless card that runs as
gatewaydev is eth1 (I have problems to run Internet at the
University, but I will show you later how I have solved
this.

c) /etc/sysconfig/networking-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPRO=static
IPADDR=xxx.xx.0.zzz #The IP at the University, not showed
NETMASK=255.255.240.0
NETWORK=xxx.xx.0.0 #not showed
BROADCAST=xxx.xx.15.255
ONBOOT=yes
HWADDR= xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx #HWaddr or MAC direction, specific
of the ethernet card
MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=no

d) /etc/sysconfig/networking-scripts/ifcfg-eth1
DEVICE=eth1
BOOTPRO=static
IPADDR=192.168.1.3 #I have an amount of 4 computer runing at
home
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=192.168.1.0
BROADCAST=192.168.1.255
ONBOOT=yes
HWADDR= xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx #HWaddr or MAC direction, specific
of the ethernet wireless card
MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=yes

The first time I changed the files I restarted the net (as
root: service network restart) and when I go to drakconnect
all the devices appeared well configured.

With this configuration I have not problems at home; at the
University, where I conect throughout the eth0 ethernet;
card, I need to change the gateway and the gateway device;
to do so I have made an script with the next line:

route add default gw 155.54.1.200 dev eth0

I run it as root and in few seconds I have Internet
avalaible at University; 155.54.1.200 is the IP of the
gateway at University.

Hope this could help you; with MDK10 the configuration was
similar, but the laptop runing MDK10 just has the wireless
card.

Regards
--
Francisco Alcaraz Ariza