[driverloader] Stock 2.6.5 Kernel Freezes when DriverLoader loads

Alex Ackerman alex at darkhonor.com
Thu Apr 22 17:58:24 EDT 2004

Do you ever get the feeling someone just doesn't like you?  I'm starting
feel that way about my laptop and it's wireless card.  Ok, I downloaded
the
2.6.5 kernel from kernel.org.  I copied the fedora config file from
/boot so I
would have the relatively same options.  I made sure there was no
statement
concerning 4KSTACKS.  I also made this change:

CONFIG_MODULE_FORCE_UNLOAD=y

I then typed:

# make rpm

It built the kernel rpm fine with no problems.  I installed the newly
built
stock kernel and rebooted the laptop to run the new kernel.  I then ran
'dldrconfig' since the DriverLoader 1.66 rpm was already installed.  It
built
the module with no problems.  I'm thinking, YEAH!!!  This is farther
than I've
been before.  I make sure the wireless card is on (little button on the
front
of the laptop) and load the driverloader module:

# modprobe driverloader

I typed

# lsmod

And reviewed /var/log/messages to confirm the module loaded fine.  No
worries.
Just the typical "kernel tainted" message that has been posted here
previously.
 Eth1 has been set as the id for the new interface.

I typed 'iwconfig' and see the wireless extensions on eth1.  I set the
essid
for my home LAN.  Before I can set the wep key, the system freezes.
Hard
reboot needed.  I even tried setting up ifcfg-eth1 in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts to have all of the options loaded at
once, but
the system freezes on loading eth1 at boot time.  The system freezes
only when
driverloader is loaded and my wireless card is on and I do something to
configure the interface to connect to a network.  If I don't load the
module,
the system runs fine.  Any ideas?

Scratching my head...
Alex