[driverloader] Having to reinstall driverloader after reboot

Akshay Rao akshayr at opb.msu.edu
Tue Aug 10 11:48:51 EDT 2004

hi,
i'm having the same problems as Lonnie Mask and am running debian (2.6.8-rc1).
when the laptop boots, i've to run dldrconfig again to get the wireless
to work.
after running dldrconfig and keeping the default options for the
prompts, i've to do the following:
1. modprobe driverloader
2. ifconfig eth0 down
3. ifconfig eth2 <ip> netmask 255.255.255.0
4. iwconfig eth2 essid <essid>
5. iwconfig eth2 key   <key>
6. dhclient eth2
after this it gets the ip and works!!!:-)

here's what i've done so far:
I've the following entries in these files:
1. /etc/modules
   	 driverloader
2. /etc/modules.conf
	 alias eth2 driverloader
3. /etc/network/interfaces
	 auto eth2
	 iface eth2 inet dhcp
4. /etc/network/ifstate
	eth2=eth2
5. /etc/network/options
	ip_forward=3Dno
	spoofprotect=3Dyes
	syncookies=3Dno
 here are my questions:
1. what do i need to do to get the wireless to work at boot??
2. while booting up the laptop just sits waiting for a DHCPACK for eth0
    (wired interface). how do i make it to jump to eth2 after the first try
    if the cable is not connected??
3. when the laptop boots up the "driverloader" module is already loaded.
    so there's something else that's causing the wireless to not work, what
    could this be??
any help in getting this to work will be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance.

I wonder if dldrconfig is really necessary or it's simpler, and you just
need to configure your startup scripts to load the module and bring up
the interface.

IIRC the redhat systems have a command called redhat-network-config or
something like that; have you used it to set up the network interface?

On debian I had to use the network config tools to set up the interface,
and also modify the startup script to insure the driverloader module was
loaded.