[driverloader] Network only partially working

Jonathan Baron baron at psych.upenn.edu
Fri Aug 20 13:46:48 EDT 2004

On 08/20/04 09:27, Steve Varadi wrote:
>Since I am using wireless connection experienced network failed (partially for
>some aplication) till I restart network again.
>Details: After booting every application can use network via wireless, but for
>a while (maybe 5 minutes) only those application can use network wich is
>using before i.e. KMail download my mails every 3 minutes, but sending via
>KMail not possible because no connection according the error message. This is
>happen with Konqueror, Opera also.
>Only remedies:
>rcnetwork restart

One possibility is that devices are getting re-assigned.  Try
ifconfig
before and after the problem starts, and see if anything
changes.  Also, look at the definitions of devices in
/etc/sysconfig/hwconf
/etc/modprobe.conf
and
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts
and see if they agree with each other about which one is eth0,
eth1, and so on.  (This may be different on Suse.  This is where
they are in Fedora.)

This is unlikely to help.  But I just had some similar problems
and solved them by making sure that everything agreed about which
device was which.

Jon
Home page: http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~baron