[driverloader] problems getting wlan in my Thinkpad T42p running (AR5212 chip)

daltrey basdlin at fastbk.com
Tue Sep 14 16:23:11 EDT 2004

I just blunder around doing things by trial and error.  I am using the
driverloader with a broadcom lan card, SuSE Linux with the latest build.
(The .104 build would not work for me.)

Here are my thoughts, since this is what I discovered on my computer.
My ethernet card is "eth0."  My wireless card is "wlan0".

My wireless card will not work when the ethernet card is active.
My wireless card will not pick up adequate DHCP info at boot.

My solution is the following:  I wrote a script and put a link on my
desktop.  I run it in a "superuser" terminal.  It has the following
commands.

ifdown eth0
ifdown wlan0
ifup wlan0

Sometimes I have to run it twice.  My broadcom card is now working very
well, and will continue running even when I log in and out, provided I
don't shutdown linux.

The script "turns off" the ethernet card, turns off the wireless card
and then turns the wireless card back on. "ifup wlan0" causes a DHCP
request for the wireless and from that point it works.

Hope this information will help someone.

Barrington