[driverloader] How to try different versions of the driver

Jonathan Baron baron at psych.upenn.edu
Thu Sep 16 12:45:36 EDT 2004

Often the other Jonathan's response to questions on this list is:

"please try with different versions of the Windows XP driver to see if
there is a difference."

What is the easiest way to do that?

For example, I notice that (with Fedora Core 2 and driverloader
2.06) I have two files in /var/lib/driverloader/.  One is
bcmwl5.sys, and the other is bcm43xxa.inf.  The "sys" file seems
to be pretty much the same for different versions of the driver.
The "inf" file seems to be what changes from version to version.

Can I just simply (after backing up the current "inf" file)
replace it with the "inf" files of different versions, keeping
the same name (bcm43xxa.inf)?

And, if so, do I need to re-start anything to see if it works
better?

Jon
Home page: http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~baron