[driverloader] problems with re-installation

Jonathan Baron baron at psych.upenn.edu
Mon Oct 4 22:58:15 EDT 2004

I've been having major problems with dhcp lately, but I don't
think this is a driverloader problem because it happens on my
desktop too.  I think it is the result of some upgrade I did last
week on Fedora Core 2.

But right now the problem is updating driverloader.  I got the
new rpm that came out today (Oct 4).  To be save, I deleted the
old one with rpm -e, but I got an error message:

---
baron at delli ~ # rpm -e driverloader
ERROR: Removing 'driverloader': Device or resource busy

Removed driverloader from /lib/modules/
ERROR: Removing 'driverloader': Device or resource busy
--

This happens all the time.  But I push ahead:

---
baron at delli ~ # rpm -Uvh
driverloader-2.08_k2.6.8_1.521smp-1fdr.i686.rpm
warning: driverloader-2.08_k2.6.8_1.521smp-1fdr.i686.rpm: V3 DSA
signature: NOKEY, key ID 5dfbf7dc
Preparing...
########################################### [100%]
Removing old /usr/lib/driverloader
   1:driverloader
   ########################################### [100%]
ERROR: Removing 'driverloader': Device or resource busy
Linuxant DriverLoader for Wireless LAN devices, version 2.08

Pre-built driver modules that seem compatible with your system
were found under
/usr/lib/driverloader/modules/binaries/linux-2.6.8-1.521smp.
ERROR: Removing 'driverloader': Device or resource busy

If you need license keys, assistance or more information, please
go to:
http://www.linuxant.com/

When reporting a problem for the first time, please send
us the file generated by "dldrconfig --dumpdiag".

To complete the installation, please point your browser to:
  http://127.0.0.1:18020/
---

It did not remove what was in /var/lib/driverloader, so I push
ahead.  I try to point my browser to the url above, and I get

"The connection was refused when attempting to contact 127...."

This too is something I always get.

But I push ahead.

I do
dldrconfig --enable-workaround=stack
then
dldrconfig --netdevname=wlan0

In hopes that this will convince driverloader that it really is
wlan0 and not eth1.  (Sometimes it seems to know this, but not
recently.)  And I get the same message about pointing my
browser.

Then I just run dldrconfig with no switches, and it seems to
work.  I get a bunch of questions and I accept the default
answers (no for using the existing driver modules, yes for the
pre-built modules, and then I get (again):

ERROR: Removing 'driverloader': Device or resource busy

Having been through this before, I believe that things will work
after I reboot, once.  Except that
drldrconfig -i
tells me that it is eth1, not wlan0, and this louses up a bunch
of other stuff later on.  In particular, if I stop driverloader
and restart, then try
ifup wlan0
I'm told there is no such device.  But otherwise it has worked,
except for my current dhcp problem.

So clearly I'm doing something wrong.  Any ideas?

Jon
Home page: http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~baron