[driverloader] A mountain to climb

Nick Davies nick at lasventajas.com
Fri Oct 8 18:45:08 EDT 2004

First post, apologies to all if I get the etiquette wrong.

A relative n00b to the world of linux, I am running SuSE 9.1 and
attempting to climb the himalayas.  Sorry, I meant get my wireless
adaptor to connect to the network. Two weeks in the ndiswrapper
foothills, (impossible to set essid, lots of posts everywhere, no
solutions), I find myself staring at driverloader. It loads the driver,
it recognises my adaptor, it looks configurable but it remains
disconnected.  Please help.  I'm not sure I can take any more of this...

dmesg, ifconfig and iwconfig as follows.

dmesg
wlan0: WPA, AES, TKIP, WEP128, WEP64 supported
wlan0: Realtek RTL8180 Wireless LAN (Mini-)PCI NIC at 0000:01:06.0 (MAC
address 00:50:FC:BD:FB:62) ready
NET: Registered protocol family 17
wlan0: New link status: Disconnected (0002)
--- stuff cut out here ---
wlan0: no IPv6 routers present

ifconfig
wlan0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:50:FC:BD:FB:62
          inet6 addr: fe80::250:fcff:febd:fb62/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

iwconfig
IEEE 802.11-DS  ESSID:"101"  Nickname:"HOME"
          Mode:Managed  Bit Rate=11Mb/s   Tx-Power=20 dBm
          RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0