[driverloader] Unable to connect to AP

Hurt, Gerald gerald.hurt at Intrado.com
Fri Oct 22 04:09:12 EDT 2004

I'm having a problem connecting to my access point, and I'm so close I
can taste it but I think I'm just missing something simple. I can't
figure it out! Anyway, I'm running Slackware 10.0 (kernel 2.4.26) with
driverloader 2.08, my card has the rtl8180 chipset. I installed 2.08
from source and configured my interface (wlan0), installed the winxp
drivers and temp license key. Everything looks great.

My access point ip address is
My access point does not use DHCP, so I am assigning a static address to
the wlan0 interface.
I am not running WEP or WPA, nor am I restricting MAC addresses or
applying any filters.
I've created the following script to set up the interface:

iwconfig wlan0 channel 3
Iwconfig wlan0 essid guinness
ifconfig wlan0
ifconfig wlan0 up
route add wlan0
route add default gw

Here is the results of ifconfig, route, and a test ping:

root at valkyrie:/home/jay# ifconfig
lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
    	  inet addr:  Mask:
	  UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
	  collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
	  RX bytes:497828 (486.1 Kb)  TX bytes:497828 (486.1 Kb)
wlan0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:50:FC:CF:FF:0A
	  inet addr:  Bcast:
	  collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
	  RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

root at valkyrie:/home/jay# route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use
Iface    *      UH    0      0        0
wlan0    *        U     0      0        0
loopback        *            U     0      0        0
default         UG    0      0        0
root at valkyrie:/home/jay# ping
PING ( 56(84) bytes of data.
>From icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable
>From icmp_seq=2 Destination Host Unreachable
>From icmp_seq=3 Destination Host Unreachable
--- ping statistics ---
6 packets transmitted, 0 received, +3 errors, 100% packet loss, time
, pipe 3
root at valkyrie:/home/jay#

I'm not yet attempting to resolve any hostnames, just attempting to ping

Also, when I run iwconfig, I do see the AP and its associated

Any help as to what I could be missing?