[driverloader] Driverloader module not functioning until reloaded

Steven Sumpter tech at sumpter.org.uk
Wed Nov 10 10:50:47 EST 2004

Linuxant support (Jonathan) wrote:

> First, please rename '/etc/rc5.d/S11driverloader' to
> '/etc/rc5.d/S10driverloader' and the follow these instructions to
> change the starting order of the PCMCIA service. This is the expected
> way of doing things on Mandrakelinux as changing symbolic links in the
> '/etc/rc*.d' directories is not recommended.

I take it you want me to reverse the change that I made earlier?  In
which case the change would be the opposite of that which you suggested.

> Then, please edit the '/etc/init.d/pcmcia' file and change the <start
> prio number> to the <start prio number> found in the
> '/etc/init.d/network' file minus one. You will also have to change the
> <kill prio number> which can be calculated with this simple formula :
>
> <kill prio number> = 100 - <start prio number>

Currently the line in /etc/init.d/network is:
# chkconfig: 2345 10 90

and in /etc/init.d/pcmcia it is:
# chkconfig: 2345 04 96

I have therefore changed pcmcia to:
# chkconfig: 2345 09 91

With your modifications, (and reversing mine) the starting order changed to:

pcmcia
loopback
eth0
eth1
driverloader

Which means the driverloader module once again starts after mandrake
tries to start the eth1 interface, and it therefore fails.

With my modifications to the /etc/rc5.d/S11driverloader, it at least
loaded the driverloader module before bringing up eth1, and it was
already starting the pcmcia bits and pieces, so that wasn't the
problem.  The problem was that the driverloader module simply wasn't
responding.  Basically, the pre-requisites are all in place, but the
driverloader module still fails to function until it is removed from
memory and reloaded.  I am just confused as to what is preventing the
driver from responding when first loaded, and it would be nice if it
worked at the right time so that my NFS filesystems got mounted at boot
time.

Steve.