[driverloader] Driverloader works well but.....

Jonathan Baron baron at psych.upenn.edu
Sun Nov 14 13:20:19 EST 2004

On 11/14/04 10:03, John Pedersen wrote:
>Hi folks,
>So everything at the driverloader end works fine.... but I'm getting
>some real flakiness at boot up that I can only attribute to the new
>kernel.  Specifically, the windows manager (generally gnome) will hang
>trying to initiate services.  The fedora 2 splash will come up but the
>graphical bar associated with service start up doesn't appear and the

I am assuming you mean the Gnome panel, but I'm not sure.

>system stays in that state.  This behavior is inconsistent and generally
>doing ctrl-alt-backspace and restarting the x server will usually solve
>the problem.  Less often, the system will hang on shutdown.

I was having problems like this with FC2 on a desktop computer
that did not have wireless at all.  I fixed it by updating Gnome
to the development version.  Then I updated to FC3 and everything
got better still.  _Much_ better on my laptop, which also had
slow booting problems possibly associated with Driverloader.

The upgrade to FC3 was the smoothest I've ever done (on 3
computers so far - the 4th runs mailman, which will require
re-configuration, so I'm waiting until I have some time).
Everything just worked.  And it worked better and faster - e.g.,
Gnome cut and paste finally does what it should do.  I had to
re-size my terminal windows, but that was all.  I recommend an

I have not been using the Linuxant kernels for a while since I've
found that the "workaround=stack" thing seems to prevent crashes,
but I have a different wireless from yours.

I doubt the problem is in the kernel.  By the time Xorg starts
up, the kernel is pretty much finished its part of the boot

Home page: http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~baron