[driverloader] Problem with WEP

David Maxey david.maxey at btinternet.com
Sun Nov 14 19:39:36 EST 2004

Hi All,

I'm having a problem getting WEP to work.

I'm running Mandrake 10 (Official - kernel 2.3.6-7) on a Compaq Pressario 700
laptop using a Belkin F5D7010 PCMCIA WLAN card (Broadcom chip).

Using the Linuxant trial licence and driver I'm able to get it communicating
with the access point (I had no luck at all with NDISWrapper) fine at long
last but I cannot get it to work with encryption enabled.

The interface appears as ETH1 instead of Wlan0 as I would have expected.
Whenever I try to configure the WEP with any of the KDE graphical packages it
lets me fill in all the requiste fields such as ESSID and key values and when
I finish it asks me to restart the interface. When I click yes the system
hangs and I can get no further. When I manually reboot and reconfiger with
the non-WEP settings it restarts OK.

When using the command line mode and it's in the non-WEP mode I get the
following:

"iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

eth1      IEEE 802.11g  ESSID:"Festoon"  Nickname:"192.168.1.1.home"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.462GHz  Access Point: 00:90:96:48:4E:CC
          Bit Rate=11Mb/s   Tx-Power=14 dBm
          RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality:70/100  Signal level:-30 dBm  Noise level:-154 dBm
          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:1317   Missed beacon:0"

Although I'm aware that WEP is not the last word in security I'd like to get
it working as it's better than nothing. Without a fix I have to run the whole
of my network in the clear.

Has anyone got any suggestions - bye the way, I'm not a Linux command line
expert?

Dave