[driverloader] 64 bit DriverLoader on Pavilion zv5340us laptop running SuSE9.2 (x86_64)

eherget at bellsouth.net eherget at bellsouth.net
Fri Jan 7 14:45:19 EST 2005

I've got SuSE 9.2 (64bit) installed on a HP Pavilion zv5340us notebook - Athlon 64  3400+.  I've installed DriverLoader 2.23 and the 64 bit broadcom driver linked from the Linuxant website.  Everything appears to be installed correctly  - iwconfig and dldrconfig --info shows wlan0, etc.

The Pavilion zv5340us laptop has a button on it above the keyboard that turns on and off the wireless networking.  When it is turned on, the button has a blue light turned on behind it to show that wireless is turned on.  The problem I think I'm having is that I am unable to "turn on" the wireless networking with this button.

To shed some more light on the issue...
For grins and giggles, I had previously installed the 32 bit SuSE 9.1 distribution on the laptop.  In 32 bit mode, I was able to use ndiswrapper and some NDIS driver and could turn wireless networking on and off with the button above the keyboard.  In this case, however, I was unable to successfully configure the wireless network.  I didn't spend any time digging into why as I wasn't gonna run 32 bit linux on this laptop.  This driver I used in this case was the bcmwl5 driver, as I recall - don't recall what version, however.

So I'm looking for help resolving the issue with getting the 64 bit bcmwl564 driver working under DriverLoader on this particular laptop.  Since I can't "turn on" the wireless networking with the button above the keyboard, but I do see the wlan0 device recognized, I am guessing that the button turns on and off the transmit/receive functionality of the wireless card to save battery drainage but that the rest of the wireless card is active since the device gets recognized and DriverLoader gets loaded.

I should probably mention that I am running SuSE9.2 with the kernel upgraded to the latest available from SuSE's update site - 2.6.8-24.10-default for x86_64.  I did try dl'ing the 2.6.10 kernel from kernel.org and compiling it using the same options as the 2.6.8-24.10 kernel, but the behavior is identical.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Eric