[driverloader] WEP/WPA how-to and Signal quality

rf frosterrj at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jan 22 09:59:07 EST 2005

Hello,
I tried to get WPA working to no avail, and didn't see much "how-to"
stuff on the Linuxant website.  Is there documentation specifically for
driverloader and WEP/WPA that I just havent found?  Something along the
lines of "Step 1:   Step 2: " would really be great.

Is there any reason that my access point that is 8 feet from my machine
should have lower signal quality than another in some other (farther
away) part of my building?  Is it important?  My download speeds seem to
be ok, but if there is something I can do to increase it, that would be
good.  Here is the output if iwlist scan:
My cell:
Cell 02 - Address: 00:0C:41:F4:5E:BB
                    ESSID:"myssid"
                    Mode:Managed
                    Frequency:2.437GHz
                    Quality:29/94  Signal level:-53 dBm  Noise
level:-154 dBm
                    Encryption key:off
                    Bit Rate:1Mb/s
                    Bit Rate:2Mb/s
                    Bit Rate:5.5Mb/s
                    Bit Rate:11Mb/s
                    Extra:bcn_int=100

Neighbors' Cell:
Cell 01 - Address: 00:0D:72:90:23:81
                    ESSID:"2WIRE028"
                    Mode:Managed
                    Frequency:2.437GHz
                    Quality:54/94  Signal level:-46 dBm  Noise
level:-154 dBm
                    Encryption key:on
                    Bit Rate:1Mb/s
                    Bit Rate:2Mb/s
                    Bit Rate:5.5Mb/s
                    Bit Rate:11Mb/s
                    Bit Rate:22Mb/s
                    Extra:bcn_int=100

I am using driverloader-2.10_k2.6.8.1_12mdk-1mdk for a Dlink card that
has Realtek chipset.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Robert