[driverloader] Driverloader: Some improvements

Bols bols2000 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 16:27:54 EST 2005

  Hi,

Last month I sent you a mail to support at linuxant.com but I had also some
problems with my email address and I don't know if you received it.
Meanwhile I dicovered this mailing list, so here my mail...

Fisrt, I wanna thank all your team for the driverloader... you did and
still do a great job!

I use it for months on Gentoo with my ACX111 based wireless card and I
just wanted to suggest you some improvements:

1. On Gentoo (I dunno with the other distros), there are some minor
conflicts in the init scripts (boot scripts) after having installed the
driverloader:

* Services 'driverloaderbuild' and 'checkroot' have circular
* dependency of type 'ibefore'; continuing... [ ok ]

This isn't a serious problem, it's just very annoying cause you get this
avertissement at each boot and after each "emerge".

If you check out the two services mentioned
(/etc/init.d/driverloaderbuild and /etc/init.d/checkroot) you'll notice
that in the "depend()" section, which tells the system what order things
need to be loaded in, they both have "before *", so the files are
telling the system they both need to be loaded first - before each other
- hence the circular dependancy.

I got around this by editing the depend() section of
/etc/init.d/driverloaderbuild from "before *" to "before net" - since
driverloaderbuild only needs to be loaded before the net service is
loaded, not before _everything_ else.

Note: I dunno what checkroot is but it's installed by default in Gentoo.

References on Gentoo's forum <http://forums.gentoo.org>:

- When compiling from stage2, there's a circular dependency
<http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=1741441#1741441>
- Circular Dependency???
<http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=238785&highlight=driverloaderbuild>
- What is a circular dependency how to fix it
<http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=238455&highlight=driverloaderbuild>

2. Still on Gentoo, there is an random issue with the runlevel of the
driverloader init script which prevents some net related process to works:

If you check out the runlevel (rc-update show) of the driverloader
script and the one of your net device (net.eth0, net.eth1, net.wlan0,
...) script, you'll notice that they both have the same runlevel set to
"default" (Gentoo's handbook says to set the runlevel of your net device
script to "default"). So... randomly, the driverloader init script can
be started *after* the  net device script... and the net configuration
(dhcpcd, ...) fails cause the driverloader is not yet loaded.

The only way to solve this problem is to set the runlevel of the
driverloader init script to "boot"... this way it'll *always* be loaded
before the net init script and you are sure the net configuration will
always suceeds.

More explanations here:

- dhcpcd randomly fails at boot
<http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=288583>

You can get some documentation about the initscripts here:

Gentoo's Handbook: 4. Initscripts
<http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-hppa.xml?part=2&chap=4>

I Hope these short explanations will help you to solve these issues quickly.
If you need more information, feel free to mail me!

Thanks,

Bols