[driverloader] Driverloader 2.26 + Dell TrueMobile 1300 3.100.35.1

Joel Konkle-Parker jjk3 at msstate.edu
Thu Mar 17 14:31:52 EST 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-17 at 10:14 -0500, Linuxant support (Jonathan) wrote:
> If it doesn't fix the problem, please make sure that your kernel was not
> compiled with the 'CONFIG_PREEMPT' option. If you kernel was compiled
> with this option, please disable it, re-compile your kernel and then
> re-compile the DriverLoader module with the 'dldrconfig -k' command in a
> root shell.

It appears that CONFIG_PREEMPT was the problem. I was getting hard
lockups with both the new and the old Windows drivers with
CONFIG_PREEMPT enabled, but when I disabled it on my 2.6.8-gentoo-r3
kernel, everything seems to have been fixed. It appears that both the
new and the old Windows drivers now work as expected.

So a couple questions:

I want to upgrade to the 2.6.11-gentoo-r4 kernel (based on 2.6.11.4).
Should I keep CONFIG_PREEMPT disabled?

Is disabling CONFIG_PREEMPT an overall recommendation for driverloader,
or is it a bug in 2.26 that will be fixed in later versions?

Thanks for your help.

--
Joel Konkle-Parker
Webmaster  [Ballsome.org]