[driverloader] Need help troubleshooting FC3 wireless setup

John Pedersen charles.pedersen at sri.com
Thu Apr 21 07:40:36 EDT 2005

Folks,

Great job on driverloader.  It operates exactly as advertised.  I had no
problems installing it on my T40p thinkpad under FC3, using your
precompiled 16k stack kernel.

It was working perfectly using system-config-network to configure it as
required.  (I have wireless at home and at least two different networks
at work.)

Because I  do move among different wireless networks, I decided to set
up profiles in the FC network configuration applet.  It didn't seem to
work, so I deleted the profiles and just went back to the common
profile.  Not entirely sure what I did, but I seemed to have blown away
some important config information.  Every time I would try to active the
wireless interface (eth1 in this case) I got a message about "usage ifup
<device name>".

Tried bringing everything up by hand to see what would happen.

After I had booted, I ran iwlist scan and confirmed that driverloader
seemed to behaving properly.

Then I ran iwconfig eth1 essid "essid from scan" and iwconfig eth1 key
<key for the ap>

Then I ran iwconfig eth1 and confirmed the right values were set.  They
were.

Then I attempted to run dhclient by hand by doing:

[root at traveler ~]# dhclient eth1
Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.0.1
Copyright 2004 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/products/DHCP

/sbin/dhclient-script: configuration for eth1 not found. Continuing with
defaults.
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/network-functions: line 47: eth1: No such
file or directory
Listening on LPF/eth1/00:05:4e:42:2c:5a
Sending on   LPF/eth1/00:05:4e:42:2c:5a
Sending on   Socket/fallback
DHCPREQUEST on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
DHCPACK from 192.168.1.1
/sbin/dhclient-script: configuration for eth1 not found. Continuing with
defaults.
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/network-functions: line 47: eth1: No such
file or directory
bound to 192.168.1.101 -- renewal in 40657 seconds.

eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:05:4E:42:2C:5A
         inet addr:192.168.1.101  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
         inet6 addr: fe80::205:4eff:fe42:2c5a/64 Scope:Link
         collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
         RX bytes:48920 (47.7 KiB)  TX bytes:4663 (4.5 KiB)

As you can see, after a lot of complaining, dhclient finally bound to
192.168.1.101 which was the correct address and correctly identified
192.168.1.1 as the dhcp server.  But apparently no dns server
information was obtained.  (I looked in /etc/resolv.conf and it hadn't
been updated with the dns server for my home ISP)

I've probably gone about this backward, but I'd appreciate it if someone
could point me in the right direction.

On a separate note, has anyone experimented with wlassistant (works, but
requires install of dhcpd for full functionality) or NetworkManager?
Any other AP discovering, help you in the connection apps out there?

Any place to go to get better information about system-config-network?
The encryption key part of it doesn't seem to work, at least I always
had to set it by hand using /sbin/iwconfig before and then activating
the interface through the applet.

I did a dldrconfig dump although as far as I can tell, driverloader is
doing its job just fine and I've totally screwed the interface
configuration.

TIA

John Pedersen