[driverloader] Licensing regression between versions 2.28 and 2.29

Duchesne Family celine-regis at comcast.net
Sat Nov 12 02:05:55 EST 2005

Jonathan,

> Texas Instruments (TI) has decided not to renew the arrangement to
> cover the cost of licenses. This is why TI users now need to purchase
> a license key to use DriverLoader as it is the case with other chipsets.
>
> You can buy a license from our web store

Your reply, while informative, gives the impression that Linuxant deals
with this issue lightly, in a cavalier way. Let me explain why I'm
frustrated:

When I bought my first NIC (broadcom-based) from Linksys, I was happy to
learn about Linuxant, and went to Linuxant's web store to pay $ 20 to
buy my DriverLoader license for that NIC.

When I bought my second NIC (TI-based) from Linksys, I carefully chose
this model because it was supported by DriverLoader literally _out of
the box_. Of all the money I gave to Linksys to pay for this NIC, a
slice went to TI and ultimately to Linuxant to pay for _my_ DriverLoader
license (i.e. the DriverLoader license associated with the MAC of _my_
TI-based NIC). In other words, although I didn't have to go to
Linuxant's web store to pay for my license, I still did pay for it.

So I paid for both licenses, but when I upgrade from DriverLoader 2.28
to 2.29, my broadcom-based license is still OK, but my TI-based license
is not OK anymore. That is what is not normal.

While it is sad that TI did not renew their licensing agreement with
Linuxant, it should have absolutely no impact on me: I bought this TI
card while the agreement was in full effect, and consequently I paid for
the right to use my TI-based NIC with DriverLoader. I believe that
Linuxant has absolutely no right to revoke my TI-based license in
DriverLoader 2.29.

I respectfully suggest that Linuxant rethink their policy on that
matter. Stealing from your customers is not a good way to keep them.

One way to address this issue would be to look deeper at the MAC
address: if the MAC address corresponds to a TI chipset that was
manufactured while the agreement was in effect, then enable the OEM
license. If the MAC address corresponds to a TI chipset that was
manufactured after the agreement was revoked, then disable the OEM
license. This would be fair.

PS: On top of that, when the agreement with TI was signed, you guys
announced it with great fanfare at
http://www.linuxant.com/company/press_dldrti.php?PHPSESSID=67983b97f44d75ec10f9417c63aa04cb
But surprisingly, no announcement was made when TI didn't renew the
agreement. So the aforementionned URL is misleading your customers.

Thanks for reading,
--
Regis "HPReg" Duchesne