[driverloader] dldr_wpa_supplicant doesn't see wlan0

Jonathan Byrne jonathan at yamame.org
Sat Jul 1 18:07:10 EDT 2006

I just installed driverloader on Kubuntu Dapper (6.06) (but using a
Breezy 2.6.12-9-386 kernel because the Dapper kernel won't boot on this
machine for some as yet undetermined reason) with the Windows drivers
for a Linksys WPC54G (ver. 3) running on a Thinkpad 600X. The
driverloader web interface shows device wlan0 using driver lsbcmnds and
the MAC address of the WPC54G, so this seems to have gone successfully.

The wpa_supplicant that comes with Kubuntu complained that driverloader
was an unsupported driver, so I removed it and installed
dldr-wpa-supplicant. When I run dldrwpaconfig, it says:

"Automatically selected the wireless interface 'wlan0'. Supports WPA and
WPA2 with TKIP and AES.

ERROR: No wireless interface were detected by the 'iwlist' tool for
the 'wlan0' interface. Before you attempted to use this supplicant, you
should make sure that you are able to use DriverLoader with WEP enabled
first."

Trying WEP seems counterintuitive, insofar as if it can't detect an
interface, whether WEP works or not is neither here nor there (and
since my network is WPA-only, that won't work either without
reconfiguring to use WEP, but I can do that if needed).

Also, using the iwlist command in a shell does gather information from
the card, so that seems to go against what dldrwpaconfig is saying
about iwlist.

Does anyone have any ideas?

TIA,

Jonathan