[driverloader] dldr_wpa_supplicant doesn't see wlan0

Craig Bell rcbell at cox.net
Sat Jul 1 21:51:49 EDT 2006

I have the WPC54GS on FC5 on a T30 laptop.  I've tried everything I can
think of to get WPA working, but so far it is not.  I am working with
support at linuxant.com, but we haven't found the fix yet.

My card works fine with my linksys WRT54GS if I disable security and I
am in mixed mode.  It usually takes a few minutes after booting to
finally talk with the router.  I assume you've got your SSID either
broadcast or in your machine's network settings.  Sorry, I'm not sure
what else to suggest.

Craig Bell

Jonathan Byrne wrote:
> I just installed driverloader on Kubuntu Dapper (6.06) (but using a
> Breezy 2.6.12-9-386 kernel because the Dapper kernel won't boot on this
> machine for some as yet undetermined reason) with the Windows drivers
> for a Linksys WPC54G (ver. 3) running on a Thinkpad 600X. The
> driverloader web interface shows device wlan0 using driver lsbcmnds and
> the MAC address of the WPC54G, so this seems to have gone successfully.
>
> The wpa_supplicant that comes with Kubuntu complained that driverloader
> was an unsupported driver, so I removed it and installed
> dldr-wpa-supplicant. When I run dldrwpaconfig, it says:
>
> "Automatically selected the wireless interface 'wlan0'. Supports WPA and
> WPA2 with TKIP and AES.
>
> ERROR: No wireless interface were detected by the 'iwlist' tool for
> the 'wlan0' interface. Before you attempted to use this supplicant, you
> should make sure that you are able to use DriverLoader with WEP enabled
> first."
>
> Trying WEP seems counterintuitive, insofar as if it can't detect an
> interface, whether WEP works or not is neither here nor there (and
> since my network is WPA-only, that won't work either without
> reconfiguring to use WEP, but I can do that if needed).
>
> Also, using the iwlist command in a shell does gather information from
> the card, so that seems to go against what dldrwpaconfig is saying
> about iwlist.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas?
>
> TIA,
>
> Jonathan

If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an
infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even
considering if there are men on base. --Dave Barry