[driverloader] Error compiling driverloader with 2.6.18

Bandan bandan.das at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 04:02:05 EDT 2006

Hi
I am Bandan and new to the list. I am trying to compile driverloader
under Gentoo Linux (kernel version 2.6.18) but when I run dldrconfig,
I get the following message:

Linuxant DriverLoader for Wireless LAN devices, version 2.34

No pre-built modules for: unknown-unknown linux-2.6.18 x86_64-SMP

Trying to automatically build the driver modules...
(this requires a C compiler and proper kernel sources to be installed)

Where is the linux source build directory that matches your running kernel?
[/lib/modules/2.6.18/build]
 WARNING: the kernel version () defined in
/lib/modules/2.6.18/build/include/linux/version.h
does not match the currently running kernel (2.6.18)
The cause of this problem is an incorrect kernel source path.
Please check that /lib/modules/2.6.18/build points to the right tree.
The cause of this is usually a missing or unconfigured
kernel source tree (and sometimes an incorrect directory or symbolic link).

Building modules for kernel , using source directory
/lib/modules/2.6.18/build. Please wait...

 ERROR: Module build failed!
Please examine the log file "/var/run/dldrconfig-buildlog.txt" to determine why.

The output of dldrconfig-buildlog.txt is :
(cd /root/linuxbackup/linux-2.6.18 && make
"DLDR_KERNELSRC=/root/linuxbackup/linux-2.6.18"
"M=/usr/lib64/driverloader/modules" "CC=gcc" clean)
make[1]: Entering directory `/root/linuxbackup/linux-2.6.18'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/linuxbackup/linux-2.6.18'
rm -rf *.o GPL/*.o *.ko GPL/*.ko *.mod.c GPL/*.mod.c .*.cmd GPL/.*.cmd
.tmp_versions .tmp_versions
/root/linuxbackup/linux-2.6.18/.tmp_versions/driverloader.mod
Unable to determine version of kernel source directory
/root/linuxbackup/linux-2.6.18
make: *** [check_kernelver] Error 1

I am sure I have my kernel sources in the right place because I can
successfully compile other modules that need kernel sources. (nvidia
graphics driver for example). Is there anything else I am missing ?
I would also like to mention that I could compile and use it  with
2.6.17 without any problems.

Any help is appreciated.

Bandan