[driverloader] driverloader with 2.6.19-rcX

Bob Tracy rct at gherkin.frus.com
Wed Oct 18 09:00:42 EDT 2006

The driverloader module build process has been broken for a long time,
but various workarounds to get around the version.h braindamage allowed
things to work until 2.6.19-rcX for i386 machines.  This is due to
execve() going away: it was replaced by kernel_execve(), which is not
exported for use by modules.

The workaround I'm currently using for 2.6.19-rc2 is to use the x86_64
approach in driverloader/modules/osservices.c, i.e., OsForkWait() calls
call_usermodehelper() instead of OsRunThreadSync() to get around the
need to call OsExec().  Unfortunately, OsRunThreadSync() is still
required due to a reference in the imported binary blob, but at least
it's not calling OsExec() in that context.

I would provide a patch, but there's probably zero chance it would
apply cleanly against a stock driverloader-2.34 distribution.

So...  When does the next release of driverloader happen?  All the
chewing gum and baling wire required to use 2.34 with recent 2.6
kernels is making me nervous :-).

Bob Tracy                   WTO + WIPO = DMCA? http://www.anti-dmca.org
rct at frus.com