[driverloader] Ubuntu Hardy - driverloader says no devices detected because ssb still loaded

Brian Burch brian at PingToo.com
Wed Jun 18 09:17:58 EDT 2008

I updated the kernel to 2.6.24-19-rt and ran dldrinstall. The generic
driver compiled OK (version 2.41), but the driverloader configuration
panel said that my broadcom bcm43xx driver was not working because
"module ssb is still loaded".

I found a lot of confusing stuff when googling, but nothing very clearly
relevant. I have a circumvention, but perhaps you can help me fix this
problem properly?

I did two things to get my driver running properly:

1. edit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist. Comment out the line "blacklist
bcm43xx". (I also added new blacklist lines for b43 and ssb, but I am
not sure these are necessary - this change was not enough on its own
because ssb is apparently loaded earlier than driverloader).

2. issue the following sequence of commands:
sudo rmmod ohci_hcd
sudo rmmod ssb
sudo rmmod driverloader
sudo modprobe driverloader
sudo modprobe ssb
sudo modprobe ohci_hcd

After this my wlan connection works AND I can still access usb devices.
After refreshing the Linuxant configuration display I can see the
correct driver is loaded and working.

I found the blacklist idea from a lot of posts, many of which were old
or for other linux distributions - especially fedora.

I found the rmmod sequence in
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/197558.

The bug refers to ndiswrapper, so I substituted driverloader. However,
the proposed circumvention suggests creating a new file with these
commands in /etc/init.d/ndiswrapper. I looked at
/etc/init.d/driverloader -> /usr/sbin/rcdriverloader and decided not to
kludge it without your advice. I presume I'll have to re-issue this
sequence of commands every time I boot the system.

Regards,

Brian