[hcflinux] anyone used wvdial with HCF and linux?

Franki frankieh at vianet.net.au
Mon Apr 15 05:14:18 EDT 2002

Hi guys...

Its fantastic that I found this wonderful resource just when my serial modem
died and I needed a replacement fast.. very handy..

Anyway, my reason for writing is this, My ISP has two types of routers and
they each have different logon methods..
So scripts that work on one, fail on the other...

The result is that wvdial is the only thing I have found capable of reliably
connecting to both router types on linux..

Problem is that wvdialconf doesn't see the modem, so it can't interrogate
it.

I used a the wvdial.conf file from my old serial, changing only the modem
path, (to /dev/modem) and it dials up just fine.

Problem is that it seems to randomly hangup for no apparent reason,
sometimes after 10 minutes, and sometimes after 3 hours or more..

in the logs, pppd reports pppd has died exitcode 16, which the man page
identifies as "modem hangup"

What should I use as a generic init string for wvdial? or is there a way to
get wvdial to find the modem so it can interrogate it and make its own init
string?

Or am I on the write track at all? could that (the init string) be causing
the intermittant hangups?

in the wvdial.conf file I got from the serial modem, I have this:

Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 S11=55 +FCLASS=0

The Modem is a GVC HCF PCI modem. F1156IV+/R9C

Any info would  be really handy.. I suspect that if I can set a time out or
something I can stop this happening, but most of what I read in the command
set pdf was gibberish to me, so I was hoping someone would give me some
pointers.

kindest regards

Frank
Perth