[hcflinux] The modem only run well the first time after run 'hcfconfig'.

Gratiniano S. de Haro gratiniano at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 15 02:42:25 EDT 2002

The modem only run well the first time after run
'hcfconfig'.

This could confuse people thinking they can't
configure the conection properly.

Symptoms:
If send it 'ATZ'(many tools do it while trying to
connect) or the modules are unloaded (reboot, hcfstop,
rmmod...) then the modem don't work until run
'hcfconfig' another time.

Cause:
the file /etc/hcf/current.inf is modified badly by the
driver.

Technical:
The function 'NVM_copy' in module osnvm.c called for
'NVM_Write' to copy the unmodified parts of
current.inf to current.inf.new before rename it, copy
nothing. Exactly, the call to 'OsFRead' return 0 in
the first time is called ??!!??. Till today I don't
know where is the error.
(is only with me?)

Workaround:
Many. First I use 'hcfconfig -atc' or save the file
current.inf to restore it (tedious and need su or suid
to use) and don't work with many tools used to
connect.

Now I use the patch I send in my previous mail to
neutralize 'NVM_Write' while someone find a better
solution.

	Gratiniano