[hcflinux] RE: HCF driver problems on a sony vaio

John Spray john at spray.screaming.net
Sat Apr 20 12:29:37 EDT 2002

>Hi,

>I am pretty sure that my built in modem on my sony vaio xg-28 is a
>connexant HCF modem.  I have therefore tried to install the driver and
>configure it, as shown in the detailed notes below, after first
>identifying the modem with lspci and listmodem.sh.  However, the modem
>still doesn't seem to be working - I can't get minicom or wvdial to work
>with it.  I attach the exact commands for installation and configuration
>below.  Does anyone have any idea about what to try next?  - George

Sorry George, but you're out of luck.  From the "Limitations" section of the
website:

"(unlikely to be implemented)
- Support for old HCF chips with Rockwell vendor ID (127A) except on
Riptide cards. Beware however: some early HSF modems, notably 127A:1025
incorrectly appear as HCF in some versions of the PCI ID lists used by lspci
and the linux kernel, but work with the HSF driver."

No support for 127A devices.  Any chance you could explain why this is if
you're reading, Marc?

Oh, and you mailed the "announce" list, where you should have mailed the
mail list. (hcflinux at lists.mbsi.ca rather than
hcflinux-announce at lists.mbsi.ca)

John Spray
(john at spray.screaming.net)